The Russian orthodox church in Geneva is a genuine masterpiece of Byzantine-Muscovite style. This church was built thanks to the financial support of Geneva’s Russian orthodox community. Its sublime golden cupolas are a beacon that shines high over the city
In 1859 the Russian orthodox community in Geneva was granted permission to build this church, with financial assistance from Anna Feodorovna Constancia, sister-in-law of Tsar Alexander 1st. Dostoyevsky baptised his daughter Sophie here; she died at three months of age and is buried in the cemetery at Plainpalais. Situated above the Quartier des Eaux-Vives, the Russian church is built on the site of a former Benedictine priory. Its architecture is a masterpiece of Byzantine-Muscovite style and its golden cupolas, restored in 1966, are a magnificent landmark that can be seen from many miles distant.