Formerly known as the Island of the Boats, Rousseau Island owes its current name to its imposing bronze statue, erected in honor of the famous philosopher of the Enlightenment in 1835
This bronze statue of the famous Enlightenment philosopher and writer Jean-Jacques Rousseau was created by sculptor James Pradier of Geneva. It was erected in 1835 on Rousseau Island, especially named after him for the occasion. The towering sculpture facing the lake represents the philosopher busy writing while dressed in an antique robe. In 2012, Geneva celebrates the tercentenary of the birth of the writer.