Villa Negroni is one of Ticino’s most important villas. One of the reasons is the valuable expansive garden surrounding the villa. There is a clear division into two contrasting elements: an Italian flower garden and an English-style park.
Villa Negroni was built by Lugano’s Carlo Morosini at the turn of the 18th century. The villa, which has been renovated several times, used to be the focus of Ticino society, and various personalities from Italian culture, politicians, intellectuals, musicians and artists were guests here at one time or another.
The flower garden is a rare example of an exclusively Italian garden in Ticino. It was laid out between 1910 and 1920, and impressively demonstrates how architecture and nature can harmoniously blend with one another.
Villa Negroni was most recently renovated by the city of Lugano. The garden also underwent a renovation, in which the original structure was kept and particular attention was drawn to certain key elements. As a result, the whole garden is once again ablaze with the colours of the seasonal flowers that formerly adorned the flower garden.