Forces Motrices, the imposing cultural center, “swims” in the middle of the Rhone River. Located in the former water works it is today a renovated oasis with theater and opera performances as well as exhibition halls with a capacity of 950 persons.
This is a solid and extremely large stone edifice in the style of a "Fine Arts" building anchored in the middle of the Rhône, before the Pont de la Coulouvrenière. It is an old hydroelectric station dating back to 1886, which was closed down at the end of 1980. This jewel of industry in Geneva supplied thousands of homes with drinking water and electricity for almost a century, before evolving into a cultural and artistic space.