A magnificent Cistercian abbey 20 minutes away from Fribourg, founded in 1137 by Guillaume de Glâne, leader of the Ecuvillens.
In fact, it takes its name (alta riva, in Latin, "high bank") from the presence of an imposing cliff sculpted by the waters that shuts the site, like a insurmountable barrier, the site from the south. The abbey is near the Saint Jacques de Compostelle path. About 20 monks lead a simple, contemplative life here, close to nature. The attractive abbey shop welcomes visitors; there are also guided tours.