The symbol of International Geneva. The Palais des Nations (United Nations Office at Geneva - UNOG), built between 1929 and 1936, is the European headquarters of the United Nations. This centre of world diplomacy welcomes more than 25,000 delegates every year. A great number of artworks are displayed in its rooms. The building can be visited every day.
Geneva originally built the Palais des Nations for the League of Nations founded in 1919. After the second World War and the dissolution of the League, the building was ready to welcome the European seat of the newly constituted United Nations (UNO). It is the second largest UN centre, the first being the headquarters in New York, and as large as the Versailles Palace.
Amongst the many works of art, the most amazing is probably the ceiling of the ‘Human Rights and Alliance for Civilisation Room’ painted by the artist Miquel Barcelò and donated by the Spanish government.